Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Staving off panic

Well, this has been an eventful week.
Our airline tickets have been purchased.  One Way tickets!!  Wow.  That is different! Sort of sobering.
One way.
We depart Sept 22 for Peru.
As the reality of everything begins to "hit home" more and more my thoughts begin to get all jumbled together.
This week is my last week at work -- at the County of Henrico in the Dept of Social Services working in the Child Care Unit.  It's been a great job.  My co-workers are wonderful. I have so enjoyed this team of fine ladies!
I have felt panic arise as my time of trying to get "caught up" (so as not to leave behind a mess, or a huge burden for my fellow co-workers) is coming to a close.  In fact, tomorrow is my last day of actual work as we have a mandatory all day staff meeting on Friday.  We began a big new project recently for one part of our program that was mostly my responsibility and I've been trying to get that well underway even if everything else is not caught up -- which it is not . But, as my Supervisor reminded me today -- that is kind of the "nature of the beast!"  In our type of work, one doesn't really get caught up! It's like laundry!!
Earlier in the week, as I was realizing that I probably wouldn't be caught up by week's end, I began to feel anxious and I could feel myself getting more and more stressed about it.
Just as at work, I was also feeling a sense of needing to get everything "under control," and "planned for," and "thought of" and "taken care of" in our family before we leave for our training time, and before departing the country.
My boss reminded me that I was stressing over things some of which weren't going to happen until next year!!  (ie. next summer's plans for our kids when they are on summer break from college, etc..)
God is so perfect in His timing reminding us of truths in His Word -- this morning's devotional reading was from Philippians 4:6-7 about not being anxious for anything, but praying and thanking Him about everything, and the peace, which passes understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  What a perfect and timely reminder that I needed today!!  (Now if I could just put it into practice!!)
Tonight was also my last night of playing piano for the choir at Gayton Baptist Church for awhile!!  I have so enjoyed that opportunity at our church!
This time next week we will be about to begin our intercultural training classes.  Part of the intent, I understand, is to take one out of their "comfort zone."  Hmmm.... what is that going to look and feel like?! I'm trying not to "panic" about that too!  I enjoy new experiences and all, but I also enjoy my comfort!!
Well, I can see that I'm kind of rambling.  Apro po for my recent state of mind!!
But I thought I would give a bit of an update of my mental "goings on" as others may wonder how we're doing in that realm!
Thankfully, the "panic" has indeed been staved off -- for now!  And I believe I'll sleep in sweet peace tonight!  It's late, so ... Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment