Wow! These past few weeks have been all about "newness." EVERYTHING is new since we moved to Peru! -- new country, new language, new environment, new foods, new methods of transportation, new governmental systems, new friends, new type of phone, new daily routine, new "job," .... It begins to get quite mind boggling (and at times maddening) when everything is new and different. For awhile it's all very exciting -- so different and thrilling. The adventure of it all fuels the daily excitement of life. But ... after awhile, the excitement of the "newness" wears off and the newness begins to add stress to life.
I try to do some "normal" and "routine" things -- like take a daily morning walk, but even that requires "change" in that I was advised to mix-up the route in new and different ways in order to remain safe and not get into a "habit" in case others with mal-intent might be watching me.
HOWEVER -- one "normal" thing I can do every day is to read my Bible, and be with the Lord (who never changes -- hallelujah!), and to listen to praise songs that lift up His Name as I'm walking.
Hallelujah for a constant, faithful Lord -- and for praise music that sometimes "says" things to, and for, our heart and soul that words alone cannot say. And I can speak to Him in English and He hears me and understands me!! (And He hears my sweet new friends in their heart languages too! He is such an awesome, Almighty God!! Hallelujah!!)
I hit a weensy bit of a wall this week when I was feeling tired of the newness. I didn't want to be "corrected" every time I tried to talk to someone; I didn't want to be jostled about in a crowded combi; I didn't want to have another cold shower; I didn't want to feel grit all over my jeans and clothes another day.... BUT, in our house devotion time I was reminded afresh of the attitude and actions of our Lord in Philippians 2 -- how he came to earth, leaving the glory of Heaven, and became a SERVANT -- taking on Himself human likeness -- and being obedient, even unto death. These inconveniences that I was struggling with were very "minor" in comparison with what our Lord did for me -- and for ALL of us. And thankfully, even though I was battling feelings of frustration and irritation due to these new life circumstances, the Lord met me at my point of need and graciously changed my attitude and thinking and brought me to a place of contentment in my new surroundings once again. Thank You, Lord!
"New" can be great fun, and promote great excitement. And "new" can also be quite stressful and promote challenging obstacles.
Thankfully, in the midst of it all, I wake up to new mercies each morning, and I get to walk another day in the newness of LIFE as I walk with the Lord and stay close to Him.
These are some of my thoughts as I deal with all things new ... here in Peru!
No comments:
Post a Comment